So a couple of days ago I put in my 3rd tray (retainer) of Invisalign, which means I have been wearing braces for 4 weeks!
It has been a weird month, and it has been a slow adjustment getting used to these! My lifestyle has had to change a bit..so I thought i'd share some of the things I have learnt/discovered so far!
- Because I have to wear my braces for 22 hours a day, I have to DOWN drinks! This includes alcohol. I havn't been on a night out since I've had them, but I think if I do I may have to stick to water until 2018!
- You have to be savvy about taking your retainer out when you are in a public place or restaurant. It's so awkward having to brush your teeth after every meal/drink, but it hasn't stopped me going out! I just try and be as discrete as possible!
- I no longer snack. At all! So far I think i've lost around 4 or 5 pounds, as I was a serial snacker before. I have the smallest thing for breakfast, eat a bigger lunch at 12:30pm and then my dinner (maybe a pudding) at like 7pm...and that's it! Gone are the days of 10am crisps, 3pm trips to the vending machine and 9pm biscuit grazing!
- My skin is the best it's been since I was 13. I'm not sure whether this has something to do with the fact I brush my teeth 3-5 times a day, the lack of snacking or the copious amount of water I drink now...but it's noticeably different. I'm going to guess it's the water thing! I don't like drink very quickly, and because I can only drink water with Invisalign in, I tend to just drink water now!
- My teeth only hurt 1-4 days after I change to a new retainer, which isn't so bad! When I first put them in 4 weeks ago, I thought that pain would be constant...but it's ok. I just have to remember to have a stash of pain killers, and to only eat soft food those days.
- I get such dry lips! My lip balm usage has sky rocketed in the last month, and I can tell i'll be going through them as much as new tooth pastes over the next 36 weeks!
I think I am starting to see some movements and a change in my smile, which i'm really happy about! I know it's going to feel like it's taking ages, but I know it will be worth it in the end!