Tomorrow marks the last day of 2016, and almost the end of our first Christmas in the house!
When we decide we were going to do all the hosting back in like..August/September...I thought HEY that's ages away! If we plan and prep now it will be a piece of cake. I'll learn to cook in that time and we'll start saving now! Nope...
As with everything in my life, we left it until the beginning of December to even think about what to cook/how to decorate etc...so I spent the best part of this month fully thrown into Christmas and making it the best we possibly could! And actually, at the end of it all (despite shelling out a small fortune on food that we probably could have used for things like blinds and vet bills...and stressing out sooo much) we were really happy with everything we cooked and achieved over the past week! We will definitely be doing things a little more relaxed next year, so I thought i'd list some of the things we learnt about hosting Christmas for the first time!
- I should have done a practice run of my Christmas day menu months ago, so that I was more confident on the day and could...you know...eat it!
- I should have learnt to sit back and relax a bit more
- We should have realised that we don't have to spend a fortune to please the people we love
- Not to sweat the small stuff
- I should have watched a little more Christmas TV instead of getting up at 6:30am to get ice!
- We should have gone outside a lot more! Put on our coats and breathed in some fresh air
- I should have definitely started my Christmas shopping in October!
- And most importantly...We should have listened to that woman in Lidl when she told us to just enjoy ourselves and do what makes US happy!
So after all of the hustle and bustle, and once everyone had gone home, I was able to have a bath and finally think about planning our wedding! We haven't really had a chance to sit back and think about our engagement to be honest, so that will be our main focus next year. I feel so lucky to have my new little family with David and the kitties, and next year is all about them and planning the rest of our future together! Prepare for this blog to be a tad wedding overload in 2017!
Hope you all had a lovely Christmas! See you in the new year!