Like most people, we both moved back home when we finished University. Neither of us knew how long for, or what it was going to be like.
When you move out it is sometimes for life, but for most Uni goers we know that after 3 years we will have to go back. For us, it was purely financial. When you first leave home it can be tough trying to adjust to the responsibility of paying bills and cleaning etc, but the move home can easily be as hard to adjust to. We have made a list of things we learned about living at home pre, during and post University, and our attitudes towards it at the time.
1. You have to let your parents know where you are and what time you'll be home. That's sooo annoying!!
2. You are given your list of chores and you are expected to do them as soon as you are asked and to your parents standard. No matter how much you really don't want to. God that's so unfair.
3. Your parents may give you pocket money for said chores...
4. You must eat what you are given. Including all of your vegetables.
5. You have to ask if your friends can come over.
1. You can do what you want, when you want. And you don't have to tell anyone anything.
2. You give yourself a list of chores, and then put them off for eternity. And even then it's of a 'uni approved' cleanliness.
3. You get your pocket money from Student Finance and spend it all on clothes and alcohol.
4. You eat what you want, when you want. Sometimes some veg thrown in for good measure.
5. You live with your friends, so you see them everyday.
1. You can pretty much still do what you want. But let your parents know- it's only fair.
2. Your parents expect you to make your own list of chores, and you respect that. But sometimes it's annoying when you are pushed as you have been so used to doing things on your own terms.
3. You are now probably working and may have to give your parents rent. But the rest is yours and you'll spend what you please!
4. You are back to eating with your parents, but you've missed a decent meal and vegetables are your friend.
5. If you want to see your friends now you'll probably just meet them at the pub! Until one of them has moved out and then you can flock to their house for a reminder of what freedom is like.
What have you learned about moving out/moving home?